Pages

Feb 6, 2013

Sophie B. Hawkins - Tongues and Tails (1992)

"We Are One Body" by Sophie B. Hawkins


Sophie B. Hawkins's musical education started at a young age in her study of African percussion.  She'd branch out to jazz percussion and her own songwriting while attending the Manhattan School of Music.  Still, she made her rounds as a drummer before her first big break when her demo got her a touring job with Bryan Ferry.  She'd move on to writing jingles for commercials before she caught the attention of Columbia Records.  Her first album Tongues and Tails came out in 1992 and became a surprising worldwide hit thanks to the effort of her hit single (#5 on the charts) "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover".  Critics dubbed her the spiritual heir of the likes of Patti Smith and heralded her emotionally naked lyrics and inventive pop compositions.  Her amazing rise to stardom would culminate with her Grammy nomination for Best New Artist.

(She worked with Gary Lucas who was an early collaborator of Jeff Buckley's.)

Here is the discography surrounding Sophie B. Hawkins's debut album:

Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover (1992 single)
Tongues and Tails
California Here I Come (1992 single)
I Want You (1992 single)

"Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover" by Sophie B. Hawkins


Pass the Headphones!!

No comments:

Post a Comment