Pages

May 29, 2010

Lou Rawls - Stormy Monday (1962)


I couldn't leave 1962 behind. Nick Venet is the connection between The Beach Boys and Lou Rawls, our next stop. Mr. Venet produced both of their debut albums. Although there were several other possible bands and artists to choose from, I could not resist the interesting direction Lou Rawls would take me in. Mr. Rawls's jazz vocals are an immediate change from the surf rock melodies of The Beach Boys, and that's always a good way to keep my ears perked.

The debut album Stormy Monday is a collection of blues and jazz standards featuring (They Call It) Stormy Monday by T-Bone Walker, God Bless the Child by Billie Holiday, and See See Rider by Ma Rainy. These songs are not only standards, they're classics. Mr. Rawls gives these staples his own presentation backed by a jazz trio headed by Les McCann.

Although I'm positive there are singles out there by Mr. Rawls before 1962, they have not surfaced in any places I can find them. The debut album discography:

Stormy Monday



Pass the Headphones!!

1 comment: